365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Mindfulness

Walked today 3 miles in 47 min. Its so cold today and dark at 5 pm. Just want to burrow under my comforter and sleep.

Came home, and ate my slice of toast with an egg which was lunch followed by a cup of tea. Barely an hour later , in walks in my DH, filling the cold house with the smell of delicious hot pizza. U would think that atleast this early in my challenge, and esp now since I am logging everyday, I would have more will- power to say 'no' and save some to have later. Nope, I ate my one slice and after 15 min another. It was the yummiest pizza I have ever had.

The logic was/is: I wasnt hungry, but this was hot fresh pizza. If I had saved it for later , it would become cold and stale. OTOH, I might not have eaten it then and in the process saved some calories. But this was eaten not mindlessly, I knew exactly what I was doing, hence only 2 slices, otherwise I can manage 4 at a time and it satisfied me to the extent that I dont need dinner or any more candy.

I finished the book today adn it has some nice sensible strategies for mindful eating which become mindless habits with time so one loses weight slowly and painlessly. I came to know that I am a meal stuffer- a person who eats fast, starts first and finishes the meal last and stuffs themselves at meal-times and also a snack grazer- who eats many snacks during the day out of boredom or nervousness. I have done that countless times- standing in the pantry, eating sweet alternating with salty and thinking about various aspects of my life.

Continue logging daily calories at fitday.com, I log in once in the morning everything I think I will be eating that day and then modify it at night depending on what I had. Lets see what shows up on the scale on Nov 10.

1 comment:

tamblair said...

Our eating habits sound so similar! I can eat more than my husband and then in an hour want a snack. I will have to pick up a copy of the book. It sounds like a read I need.