365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Day 90, 3 month review

OMG!!, 3 months over, three whole months of marathon preparation.Time sure travels fast.
OK, now lets review.

Month 1 and 2- sporadic workouts, max of 35-40 min length, getting tired and pooped at the end , aching knees and ankles.Did finish the C25K program and did run for 30 min continuously exactly 3 times. Unable to repeat that feat since then.

Month 3-more regular workouts, max. of 50 min length, getting tired only at the end of the long runs, pain in knees but no generalised heaviness as before.Enjoying the runs.But do not run continuously, take walking breaks in b/w.That is big question- if I am planning to do the marathon with walking breaks, it should be OK if I cant run 30 min continuously, so I should just concentrate on increasing the distance?

Our speed is still average 4.0 mph. Just cant seem to break the barrier. If go over to running at 4.3-4.5mph then walk at 3.5-3.7mph so average is 4.0 mph. To complete the marathon in 6 hours and before that the half- marathon in 3 hours, have to run consistently at 4.3 mph. Recently dont seem to be able to run continuously more than 3-4 min at a time.
But I am hoping that will change once get more into the marathon preparation.

Today was a slow day , walk/XT according to the schedule and I did walk for 50 min at a very slow speed. It was rainy and windy as usual and while at work I thought I would walk outside, once in the warm house , I became a wimp and did the workout on the tmill watching T.V and zoning out . My husband calls it my "walker" workout 'cos I hold onto the tmill handrail and just walk slowly.I dont know how much it helped with building endurance/ working the walking muscles instead of the running muscles/ calorie burn etc but I sure crossed it off my list with a bright red marker.

Goals for month 4:
Finish all the runs/XT as scheduled.
Add on free weights- that seems my biggest block at the time.
Do 4 sessions of speed running -one each week so that by the end of the month can increase speed to 4.3 mph on the long run.

1 comment:

Viv said...

Hey NB, looks like training is going well. Keep up the great work!
Re: I know how to swim just not the proper technique and breathing forms. I am working just to get it done correctly, and build on it. It is a a little bit over 400 yard swim so I should be ok.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. San Francisco would be an awesome city to run, but the hills..yikes :-X