365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 64 - Jogging/running on a treadmill

About a month back, when I was well into this marathon preparation, I read somewhere that runners don't like running on the treadmill and prefer the outdoors. At that time, I had tried running outside and found it to be very difficult getting easily tired. Plus I had a tv I could watch while on a treadmill. I thought I would never be one of those people who would prefer the outdoors to the treadmill. That was one month ago. Now, after having run outdoors 4-5 times (chkd the spreadsheet, though it seems like always), I definitely prefer running outside, but, but the weather should be good outside - I still haven't become one of those runners who run outside, rain (or snow) or shine!

The main advantabge I see of running outside is that you have to complete the workout i.e. if you have mapped a route which doent involve any laps and you need to return home at the end of the workout, you need to complete it. With a treadmill, you can quit anytime.

The weather has been bad since yesterday with predictions of it getting worse tomorrow and on Saturday. Went to the gym, didnt want to run, so told myself that just walk a mile, then it was - just walk for half an hour. Analyzing my speed patterns, I started pushing myself to complete 2 miles in 30 mins even thought I had been walking at 3.0 m/h for about 1 mile. Ofcourse I could complete the 2 miles only in 33.5 min. Then I started the cool down and then again tried to complete another mile running (it is another matter that the TV was showing something interesting). Finally, after much internal whining, and low interest, I did complete the workout. I have reached a stage where less than 3 miles seems less to me and I can't go more than 3 miles ateast not upto 4 miles or higher (even though I have completed 4 miles a couple of times). I think I have this mental block to higher miles.

I am hoping for nice weather soon so that I can map a run of 5 miles and complete it. Time to increase the mileage. Also, as you guys suggested, have to participate in a 5 K soon and complete it. Hopefully, should be able to do it as am getting comfortable with my 3 mile runs :)