365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Saturday, January 26, 2008

DAy 87 long slow distance

5 miles, 1 hour 20 min.

Beautiful day today, it had been raining continuously for the last 2 weeks almost and the weather has been dreary and gray, were wondering if we would be able to do this walk, had decided would go if there was a drizzle but not in case it was windy. And then woke up this morning at 6.45 with a glow on the horizon, blue and orange skies, calm breezes, lovely.
And the whole run was good- I dont expect it to go smoothly all the time.
Started from GBs apt. and was OK till came to a downslope and started to run- took the first step and felt a sharp pain in the left knee, carried on down the slope slowly with GB offering to get the car if I was not up to it.
But as soon as came to level ground, tried to run and I was able to do it without any discomfort or even a hint of pain- I would have stopped otherwise. Finished the first 3 miles in 45 min so that is ok, the last mile GB got the side splits and we had to slow down but our average speed was 4mph for the run, which included stopping at the red lights a min each time, so this is good at this time, I think.
At home I was able to do my chores without much problem tho every now and then I get that sharp pain in the left knee and the right one is just sore. I hope I am not overdoing this but I usually have sore knees the day of the long run . Previously I would have sore ankles and knees when I was not exercising regularly so I guess this is better.Most probably I need new shoes , these ones have worn out heels now, so shoe shopping this week.
GB is feeling tired overall and I know that feeling- generalised soreness , fatigue, headache, irritability, I was reading the Marathon book and this happens after overexerting oneself during a run, and it is bound to happen if we miss the weekly runs and then do 5 miles on the weekend.
Things we will do differently for our long runs:
1. start carrying some snacks- trail mix or one of those bars everyone keeps talking about- the best idea I read was carrying a PBJ sandwich and eating a quarter every 2 miles, I love PBJ, kids dont eat it anymore, so this is an excuse to get it again.
2. Get a 16 oz bottle of water each time, tho that is added weight and carrying it will be a problem.
So assignment for next week is to look into ways to carry snacks and waterbottle.
Next week it will be 2.5 miles according to our half marathon schedule and I for one am looking forward to that.
The diet did not go too well today, one is the mindset that I can eat anything since I exerted so much- about 400 cal. and secondly I just cant stop eating when I am busy with the chores and tired on top of it.-mindless eating.Tomorrow will be better.

No comments: