365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Day 85 - Marathon preparation

Has been raining forever.

Had decided yesterday that would go to the gym earlier at around 5 pm than make an excuse later that it's too dark and cold. Remembered at 5 pm that NB and I had decided that we would go to the one day special screening of ' In the spirit of the Marathon'. Since the show started at 7.30 pm, decided to go to the gym and then the movie. Completed 1.75 miles in 30 mins - sorry state of affairs :(
Was late for the movie as it was raining and wasn't too familiar with the area. NB couldn't go as her kids wouldn't let her. Almost all the seats were taken, got one in the first row. Nice movie, more of a documentary, but didnt really effect me. I mean I didn't come out crying or determined or motivated or impressed or inspired or...
There were a couple of funny moments - a person holding a placard in the marathon saying 'All of you are crazy' :). One character's husband saying "Why would you want to do distance running? Anything longer than 5 miles and public transportation is available..she (his wife) always ends up where she started" I related to him because I used to and maybe still think exactly like that. Why the hell would you want to run 26 miles?
On a serious note, I did think about my attitude after the movie. NB has been the one who has always wanted to do this, and I am kinda giving her company. I have always been a skeptic....I really don't know in my heart of hearts why anybody would want to run a marathon. So why am I doing it - Because if I back out now, I will regret it 20 years down the line, I know I will, as one of the things I never tried.....secondly, I have heard and read that it changes you forever, I want to check that out ;)...thirdly, it may have a positive effect on my health, tho cant see any yet.......and last but not least, I need to motivate NB on :))))

No comments: