365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Sunday, May 25, 2008

XT- River Parkway

Today was XT day , mainly walking and strengthtraining.

At 9.30 AM we decided to go for a picnic to the river, the same one where we had completed the halfM. So put together something to eat and drink, called GB and my parents to get ready, somehow made my 13yo get ready- shes always against any family gathering and that too in natural surroundings- never.

Reached the place and showed the family the historic pathway where Gb and I R/W for 3 whole hours- actually more. I went for a short walk along the trail by the river, it was so soothing- the sound of the water, calm- no crowds today.

We played darts, ball, observed the people around doing barbeques etc and I envied all those parents who were biking along with their kids, my daughters would never even try this with me.

Then I mentioned to GB and my mom that I would love to have a bike for myself. GB said shes not interested and my mom reminded me of the time a few years ago when I had joined them for a trip to Mackinaw Island and GB and I had biked along the coast.
Mackinaw Island is in north Michigan, it has a no motorised vehicle policy, the coastline is maybe 4-5 miles allaround, its beautiful.
The point is that I have completely forgotton the bike part!! I remember the hotel where we stayed, how the balcony gave a view of the white sand and the calm, light blue lake , i remember looking at the bikes , meeting with the parents after we were done, and as I am typing this, I remember the sight of the lake- varied shades of blue and green, craggy rocks, other families biking etc, but I dont know if that part is my imagination or the actual memory!!. So the point is, how can I forget something which i would really have wanted to do or enjoyed so much. If I actually biked that coastline, and if even my M-I-L remembers the story then it surely must have happened, how come the memory is so hazy to me. Why cant I recollect it as if it happened yesterday , since I so much wanted that experience?
So the question is, I am the one running after experiences, more than material things I want to have experiences--food, movies, marathon, bike ride, places, meeting people, sunsets and sunrises etc etc. But if I forget so much, esp. experiences I fought to have( this trip was the first time I left my daughters home for any length of time)then, are those fights and arguments worth it?? Should I keep trying to venture out of my comfort zone, if I am going to be forgetting it later on?

Time to inhale the almonds and other brain foods!!

NB

No comments: