365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Pedometers and daily steps

Have you ever seen a sloth??

Thats me today. Slothful, lazy, defiant, sulky, mean, I will not move today. No valid reason. None.
So no workout. I know, I lost to my inner sloth. But sometimes one has to lose a round to win the game.
But my mind and the fingers seem to be working OK , so I spent the last one hour feeding the inner sloth and another sitting in front of the computer, my eyes glazed, frozen in the neck out, chest in posture which will make my upper back hurt but hey! who cares!

By now everyone interested even remotely in health and fitness has heard about the pedometer and the daily goal of 10,000 steps. I too bought pedometers rangeing from free from McDonalds to $ 4 at Walmart to $ 20 at a sports shop . I dont know how to set the fancy ones, too much math calculation required and so used them the way they came. There were days when I crossed 5000 steps but only if I had been especially active doing a small walk etc. There were days when I would be tired car-pooling the kids to and from soccer practice but the pedometer would read a measly 3-4000.

Ever since I started R/W ing I thought I must be doing OK in that department . Then I read somewhere, either the complete running site or some article , that 3o min of running/walking equals 3000 steps. That means the 45min I TRY to do most days of the week barely equals 4500-5000 steps and the rest of the day must be another 2-3000. So even when I push myself to move, I am not actually doing the 10,000 steps.

That is my conclusion. Now I am going to buy another one of those pedometers and see if I am right about this. If yes, I will have to increase my workout time to atleast 60 min. Beyond that, my family will divorce me!!

And that again underlines the fact that to lose weight and keep it off one has to be active thru out the day . Concentrated bouts of exercise followed by slothful behaviour have no major effect on your weight. I know , I know, your heart and lungs and the diabetes and cholesterol all thankyou for the movement but the numbers around the waist and on the weight machine - those remain the exact same, so there!!

Ok, now I should really log off before I start ranting against I dont know what and I dont know why.

Hope u see me in a better mood tomorow, I should be, tomorrow is official rest day!

No comments: