365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Monday, May 26, 2008

Regular run and Wii-fit

Did my regular run of 46 min, tried to increase my running sessions and ended up getting shinsplints at the end of 30 min. Had them after a long time so back to the heel and toe raises. Ice helped later.

Went to GB's home for brunch. Shes bought the very latest offering from WII- the Wii-fit. So all of us- my in-laws, huband, myself got our body fitness done. Guess what- I am actually 45 years old, and my 78 yo F-I-L turned out to be actually 65 yo. He is pretty healthy and active for his age so that was no surprise, but what we noticed was that the deciding factor is the balance test and he did that test slowly and kept his balance for the requisite 3 seconds whereas I was hopping all over the place. Now I am going back and doing the test in 2 weeks again and this time will surely be 5 years younger.

I am not a video game person at all, would rather read, but I really liked this game. It has 1-2 min sessions of yoga/aerobic exercise/ strengthening exercises/balance exercises and its amazing how a simple thing like putting weight from one foot to another is so difficult sometimes. Those exercises remind me of Tai-chi.

I had done approx 6 classes of Tai-chi when I was younger and found it extremely boring- just stand in one place and move your muscles sloooowly in different directions. But that has changed and I think I would be more open to it now. It requires concentration, focussing, doing small movements, improves balance and in some cases bone density too. Yes, that is something I would like to try again, maybe this summer.

In the meantime I need to go back to doing yoga, which somehow I have lost the habit. It was helping me stay limber and loose. Next month again.

No comments: