365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Weight issues and the consequences

This morning we were all measuring our blood pressures with the home kits. And my b.p came to be 126/86. Which is high for me. I had had it done at the doctors a few weeks ago and it was 120/80. So this high could be just transitional. Still it bothers me.

I have central obesity- apple shaped, now probably borderline high b.p, I have still to get my blood test done to check for the cholesterol, fasting blood sugar etc. I turned 40 in Feb this year and I should be getting all these tests done, but I know that I will have some borderline values, I have got my head in the sand, am in denial, just dont want to face any chronic conditions. I look a perfect candidate for Metabolic X syndrome. Which is a combination of central obesity, high triglycerides, high b.p and some other factors.

What I have to understand , what I have to face very soon is that good health is only 20% or so due to activity and the rest 70-80% is a good DIET. I know this and write it every 2-3 days on the blog. Am I taking any steps- baby or grown-up ones to change my diet?? Wrong thing to ask of myself when I am on vacation. But yes, my diet needs some tweaking. I can do a marathon and all the regular training it needs, but if I dont change my diet, no use. I wish I could remember this when I am faced with do-nuts, pastries, pizza leftover by the kids, etc etc etc. What should I do- get a tatoo with -think before u inhale it??

Yesterday we had dinner with some cousins and he is short- less that 5'5'. But he hasnt gained an ounce in the 20 odd years I've known him. And he loves to eat and talk about food. I observed him at dinner- one serving of red wine, one serving of everything on the dinner table, small portions, no second helpings, no dessert because he had had the red wine. Me , I loaded on the plate the first time, but yes, did take a smaller second helping- old habits!

I do have some genetic factors too, my grandparents had borderline high b.p. etc but I know that those factors are not to blame in my case, its just me! No blaming my job, husband , kids, parents, enviorment for my bad eating habits.

So , as soon as we return home tomorrow- back to yoga for stress relief for the mind, clean the pantry- the kids dont need the junk either, get my baseline tests done and pick up the marathon training.

1 comment:

tamblair said...

Oh how I struggle with eating too!! It is the hardest part of over all fitness. Moderation is a big key for us girls who enjoy eating. But it is a hard concept to master!! Glad you have enjoyed your vacation!!