365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Saturday, November 10, 2007

San Francisco marathon - Registration open

Was checking out the San Francisco marathon website. Registration is open. The site mentioned that slots fill up easily and that one should register early. Date - Aug 3rd 2008, registration fee - a steep 85$. Or maybe I am ignorant and all marathons cost something similar. I don't think I will register before February 2008, will come to know by then if I am serious about it. On second thoughts, I should register and then I will become serious :/
The website has all the details including the marathon course video and the marathon course map. I started watching the course video and my thoughts changed from 'Mile 1 - Oh, I can't do it, I am scared, it's a bad idea' to 'Mile 5 - I am already tired just watching it' to ' Mile 12 - Wow, if only I could do this' to 'Mile 22 - Doesn't look that difficult, and yes, I spot some short women like me in the race, I think I will be able to do this'
NB is the one looking into various websites and doing the research while lazy me is just maintaining the blog, but I think looking into the details of running a marathon helps - gets you mentally prepared - just look at the range of emotions I went through while watching the marathon course video.

1 comment:

Greg On the Run said...

Wow - that's a lofty goal. I about the same gaol but was derailed just 5 weeks before the marathon. I overdid it - I ran way too much in just 14 days time. Didn't listen to those who went ahead of me. I missed a key workout due to some business travel and tried to make it up later. Ended up with knee surgery and defering my marathon plans for another year.

I say go for it, though conventional wisdom says not to. Just take it easy, especially in regards to ramping up the workouts.

Found you on the Complete Running Network.