365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 15

W3D2 90 sec 4.7k,90 sec 3.5k,3min 4.7k,3min 3.7k, 33 min, 2.2 miles.

So the planning worked but at the middle of the last session got the tightness in the right lower leg again, but I just got the speed down to 4.5 and labored on. Read on the web:it can be either
1)exertion induced compartment syndrome
2)stress fracturs
3)shin splints.
Treatment is rest, ice, compression. I actually iced my legs today, man that felt sooo goood. I didnt know this. I stayed away from ice always because I just dont like being cold, my hands are ice cold in the ACed office, and no its not low thyroid, but wow this can become a habit.

So read more on all the above. If its shin splints then the above treatment should work.If its the other two then bye bye marathon and all the running glory, stay away from the symptom inducing activity unless you want surgery.

Also read on side stitches which GB seems to be having. Treatment is simple, try to avoid food atleast 1 hour before the workout, deep breathing, decrease the intensity of the workout for some time.

Reassessed my workouts, I cannot do back to back running workouts, not recommended.Also the fact that Nov 1st was a thursday set me off on the wrong schedule. So my schedule will change:
M:C25k
T: off/weights
W: C25k
Th: weights
F :C25K
S : LSD(long slow distance)
S: off.
Reassess in 2 more weeks.
But I need the rest days, just to let this old body recuperate the beating it gets on the treadmill.I was reading someones blog- he just took 15 days off in the whole YEAR. That makes me tired just to read. I like the coolrunning newbie discussion forums- there are others just like us and so one can get the encouragement needed.
'
And thanks Caroline, we have actually started looking forward to your comments, why dont you join us also?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite. On a normal day, I might have taken you up on the offer, but I actually can't, at the moment. I've done 2 half marathons (Pike's Peak Ascent...google it) but right now I'm preparing for what I fear is an inevitable third knee surgery that will likely happen in December. Last week I locked my knee so badly that they had to inject it with lidocaine and crank it open for me at the ER. So no. No marathons in my future. :) But rest assured I'm watching this site and using it for my own inspiration. I've been to the gym twice this week!

NB said...

Hi Caroline, just reading that sounds painful, I cant begin to imagine what you must be feeling. I went to the Pikes Peak Ascent site after I read your post, its so tough. But you must have been at a good fitness level to do it twice.
We will be glad if we can inspire anybody with our efforts but after reading your post, you have become an inspiration.
Keep it up, I hope your surgery if it happens goes well, and our best wishes are always with you.