365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day 57 - Health Issues

Though the weather seemed cloudy, bleak and very cold, I still decided to go for my run. Yes, I am always motivated - before my run. I tried out my New Balance pair. The shoes hurt near the toes, that is, suppose one stands on her toes, the place where the shoe would bend is where it hurt with every step. It got better when I started jogging, and after the first mile, I did not care about my shoes, I was just very cold and breathless. By the way, I also realised that I cheat on my workout. The second half mile of my run consists of running down quite a steep hill, which I happily complete, so I shouldn't actually be taking the credit of completing a 3 mile run, it's more like a 2.5 mile run :(.

After returning, while flipping through the Health and Medicine section of an old US News magazine, saw an article on a triathlete. She moved to triathlons when she got bored with running marathons. The reporter also interviewed a Harvard doctor in the article who had studied Boston Marathon runners for years. According to him, moderate exercise is good for your health while marathon running is too much of a good thing. He, at one time, had studied 60 marathon runners bafore and after the race, looking at their heart rhythms and their blood for signs of heart damage. After the race, 40 percent showed evidence to indicate damage, though it reversed within days. The runners with less training showed most damage. The stress of running that long can promote systemic inflammation and blood clotting.

Now, even before coming across this article I was a little worried about the effect of all this on my body. I am obese and do think about the amount of work my poor heart has to do to pump blood to various parts of my body. I have told myself time and again how much more easier a run would be if I were just a little lighter, but my diet control is negligible and it seems that running a marathon is not motivating enough a reason to move to a healthy and balanced diet. I know, a sad story here.

Caroline, could you talk a little about your knee injury and what caused it. Also, I would like to request all long time runners to write about the lessons learned during their frequent running. What kind of health mistakes did they make and what could they have done to avoid the same, what negative health effects do they see on their body due to all this running. No, I am not demotivating anybody or going to be demotivated, I would just like to learn from other people's experience. Wise men learn from other people's experience, men learn from their own experience, fools never learn. I would rather be a wise guy in this case :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A few things I have learned in my 20+ years of running:

- Patience - Increasing distance and/or intensity too fast is a good way to lead to an injury.

- Run non-target races to increase confidence - Run races during your training will help you get used to running in a race.

- Rest - Proper rest is essential when training for a race

Negative health effects? I have had a few injuries over time. Most can be attributed to overuse. Each person is different in how they adapt to increased mileage. All I can say is listen to your body.

In the end, running to me is a gift that I remind myself each time I run.

David
http://www.passionforrunning.com/

Anonymous said...

I have chronic knee problems due to some random extra parts I was born with. Literally. In each knee I have about 60% more cartilage in the lateral meniscus than the average person. Having more cartilage SOUNDS good but in my case, it all shredded and got stuck and locked my joint so I had to have it removed. I also had this extra stuff called plica bands which are bands of tissue that are supposed to disappear before you are born. Mine didn't, and then they got inflamed and started causing a lot of pain. Of three knee surgeries, only one was related to a traumatic meniscus tear, and even that was related to having too much cartilage. (Meaning, it never would have torn if I didn't have way too much in the first place.)

I will say that running caused me pain almost from the start. As a freshman in high school, when I first went out for cross country, a few months later I was told by an orthopedic surgeon that the only way to fix my alignment problems (I was quite knock kneed) was to get a total hip replacement. I got a second opinion and was told that I should stop running and never do it again. I managed to get through four years of cross country, but with a lot of pain.

So I guess my story is slightly odd and not really related to running at all, except that my own stubbornness kept me running longer than I should have.

I think the best advice I can give is that you should listen to your body. If you are hurting, there is nothing wrong with slowing down. I believe the body is an amazing communicator; we just have to learn how to listen. Pain and swelling is telling you something, know what I mean?

Hope that helps. :) I'm still keeping track of you and have even started my own exercise blog because you inspired me!! :)