365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Monday, December 24, 2007

Day 54 - A run outside

I have been having a headache for some days now - started on friday. It's a dull ache, 3-4 on a scale of 10. I am thinking it may be because my eyesight is going bad. It is there when I go to sleep, it is there when I wake up in the morning, and right now the bright screen of the monitor is kinda hurting my eyes, hence the bad eyesight thought. It got bad on saturday and I had to take ibuprofen.
Today, I thought some fresh air would help and decided to go for a run outside. By the end of the run, even though my legs, ankles, feet were ok, every step I took felt as if a ball was bouncing in my head, so had to walk the last mile instead of run.
Again, I think running outside is much difficult than running on a treadmill. I was getting very accustomed and comfortable with running 3-4 miles on a treadmill, but today's run was different. Even though the aches were much less than that on a treadmill, I was out of breath much more earlier, one excuse can be that it was cold outside :)
While walking back, I had some thoughts as to whether I really wanted to run the marathon, was I really interested in the training....no answer. Though after I reached home, I had thoughts about how I would repeat the same run again till I was comfortable and I could do it in a much lesser time, also, how could I add distance at weekends etc....
But if I have to run the actual marathon outside, I definitely have to train outside.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree running outside is more difficult than on a treadmill. There is additional pounding on your legs. Running outside will acclimate your joints, tendons and ligaments to withstand the pounding.

It sounds like what you experienced is some self doubt about the marathon. A marathon is not easy. My suggestion is to set smaller goals that lead up to the marathon. You are able to run three miles. Try running a 5K. Then a 10K. I also suggest running a half marathon before you run a marathon. This progression will boost your confidence.

I hope you choose to continue towards your goal.

David
http://www.passionforrunning.com/

TNTcoach Ken said...

I agree with David and it might be time to set some short-term goals.