365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 116 Long slow run 8 miles

Ok this is what I wish I could report--We did 8 miles as planned, the weather was amazing and GB and me finished the run with energy to spare.

The reality:
My husband was on call , so I had to choose the route next to the house which I did, a 3.5mile circle which we would do twice and make up the rest with a short circle around the house. What I didnot take into consideration was the hill we would have to climb twice. It had been raining for days before that and I wasnt even sure we would be able to make it.
GB on the other hand had been preparing by buying fanny packs, power bar, powerade and gatorade, getting her clothes ready for the 8 miler, got herself psyched up to run 8 miles, and done all the right things except the most important and that is doing the 2 requisite runs for the week. Monday she had done the 2.8 mile trail with me.
So we started, me not really into it because of the kiddos, i like to have someone in the house with them at all times, she all jazzed up. We reached the first part which was going downhill, which was fine, we walked down, GB trying to make me go faster , skipping all the way. Slowly we started running and as the street curved around the corner GB came to a sudden standstill. Because from there on it is gradually all uphill a distance of 1 mile, up approximately 469 feet( from mapmyrun). Well what goes down has to come up too.
So now we started the run up the hill. Within 2 min we were panting and GB was going"I am going to die and its all your fault". let me just say , it was a slow tortuous climb. I dont know how long we took to finish that distance but finally we came to the flat part and actually the last mile till my house is slightly sloping down so it was easier and we ran almost the whole mile.
Took a break of 10 min during which I ate half a banana and made an egg sandwich for my 13yo. GB drank some Gatorade/water mixture which made her feel more nauseous.
Started on the second leg of the 8miler and this time went down the long hill first so it was good, we managed to run almost the whole mile but again on reaching the short hill , GBs legs and my lungs were giving out. We took a small circle around my house to get up the distance to total of 7.5 miles. Anyway we made it home and both came to the conclusion that this time it was just not fun.
The mistake was to run the hill twice, couldnot be helped because this whole area is hilly, and I honestly thought we would be able to manage it as we had been doing the hill sessions recently.
Looking back our time wasnt so bad- 7.5 miles in 2 hours including 2 hills and we ran quite a bit. I even ran down the second hill which is new for me as I had been walking down the hills so far . I had read about downhill running having a bad effect on the quads and the knees. Surprisingly am not having any knee pain today and actually not much sore after yesterday.
Immediately after the run/walk wasnt feeling too good but on looking back I think we were OK. Its our attitude during the session that we have to work on, and yes, dear GB will have to do those 2 runs during the week to start and finish strong during the long run.

3-4 miles next week, GB will choose a flat course.

No comments: