365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Weekly running

3 straight days of covering 4.6-4.9 miles each day, R/W, avg pace 15.5-16.5min mile.
I think I was still tired after the LSD of 16.5 miles so wasnt able to do as well- had to push my self hard during all the 3 days. GB was the motivator this week, she called me up at 5AM on the dot to meet her in 15 min. I cldnt say no even if I wanted to , because I have never seen her so motivated.

Now the 10 mile for this weekend, am going for my dtrs soccer tournament on friday, so am planning to finish it in the morning before we leave. GB has agreed to accompany me, so we shd finish it in approx 2and half hours.

I am having some pain or the other everyday now, weird, travelling pain- one day on the left foot,today on the outside of my right foot, just achiness and then after I have worried about it for 2 hours it moves to another joint- I am sure my feet and knees are going to rebel one day and just ache all together.

August is already here, first week is over, time now is moving so soon, another 10 weeks and we will be running the marathon- cant wait.

Was reading Ryan Hall- U.S contender for Olympic marathon gold- article in runners world and it says he is aware that anything can go wrong on that particular day- your past great runs dont matter- its that particular day. For them any little thing can make a difference between marathon gold or silver.

Its the same for us in the back- we can be as consistent or motivated for the whole year, if its too windy/sultry/hot/cold/scratchy throat/lack of sleep/nerves/....add your own ... on that day, we are done. Esp. for us because they close the marathon after a particular time ,and we are runnin/walking to beat that time of 6.5 hours. So any of those reasons can make a difference between Finish and Did Not Finish.

The ones in the middle have it easy- they are not running for the first place and they dont have to worry about beating the marathon closing times.
But you know what, I am sure they too have some goal to beat- another friend or relative or a celebrity's time or mostly just their own previous times. And I am sure- atleast I am hoping that once my times improve and I join the middle of the packers, I too will keep working hard to compete against myself.

Rest tomorrow, 10 miles on friday, will try and do mostly hills.

No comments: