365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tapering??

So the half marathon is next Saturday.

We are supposed to be tapering off,.. for me that means actually getting in a couple of runs so the body knows it will be moving continuously over 13 miles and 0.1 next weekend.

Today started out later than usual at 7.37 AM, one , because we wanted to see how it feels to run later in the day, and second because GB went back to sleep after the 5.45 wakeup call, so that when I reached her apt at 7.15 AM she tumbled out of bed, irate that I had woken her up! But she got ready in record time and then proceeded to tell me thru out the 4.7 miles that she didnt feel right 'cos she hadnt woken up an hour earlier than the run.

GB had got a fanny pack for me to wear for the marathon, and I used it for the first time today. I just had a 12 oz bottle of water and a banana, why I was carrying it for a 5mile walk, I dont know, maybe to get used to the idea of carrying the fluids and food during the half 'cos each stop is 2 miles apart.Anyway, that didnot work out too well, it made me off-balance and it was too heavy and esp when it got warmer and me tireder, I just wanted to throw it off. So for the half, and eventually the full, I am going to try and carry snacks which are small and effective like M&Ms/raisins/jelly beans and fill an 8 oz bottle at each stop. And I will try and get a smaller fanny pack than that humoungus thing. Made by Jansport- the most irritating thing was that the waterbottle needed much adjustment to go back into its slot, I had to break my smooth stride to push it back into its compartment , I almost left it by the wayside, except GB told me it was for $ 30, and that is a lot to leave by the wayside.

SO one week left. Will try to get in 2 more runs and then carbo load- that makes me happy!!!

2 comments:

tamblair said...

You may do better just carrying a small child's size water bottle in your hand. And my friend that has run seven marathons buys the sports gels or jelly beans that are loaded with carbs and stuffs them into her sports bra. That's just two observations I made of from her run in February. Good luck to both of you!!

Bobbie Jo said...

This is my first time checking out your blog. Great work.

I am looking for motivation as I am doing something very similar. I started running and quit smoking September 2007. I just finished my first 1/2 marathon (2:21:03) on Sunday. Now I am thinking strongly about full marathon September 7 2007 in Saskatchewan Canada.

I now have you blog as a favorite so the two of you can motivate me! Best of luck Sunday. Mental prep was key for me.