365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Monday, April 14, 2008

Run cut short

First time,I think , in the whole training period that I cut a run short. Had really bad breathlessness each time did a min of running at 4.8mph, would recover in the 1min at 3mph session, kept doing it for 20 min before completeing the 45 min walking at 3mph.

Today it wasnt the mind playing games, my lungs just would not keep up. I have been to the doctor with the complaints of allergies and shortness of breath. She has diagnosed me with asthma and prescribed an inhaler- I was prescribed one 10 years ago too and just ignored it as the symptoms come each year during allergy season and resolve in 1-2 weeks, but this time its lasted longer, I havent slept properly in 3 weeks, I have a goal of the marathon which I really want to complete. Just this morning I was thinking that I hadnt had the usual ankle and knee soreness I used to wake up with before I started the running program, but now my lungs have ditched me.

So now i am going to have to get the inhaler and will start reading up on running and asthma.I had thought that the more conditioned I became, the easier it would get, but not for me.

I have started getting jealous of the other runners now. Its getting warmer and all the runners have come out, each weekend run , while I am huffing and puffing, I see these lean, mean , running machines, solo or in groups of 2-3, eating the miles like candy. They seem to do everything right, water, caps, the right snacks, the right form and posture, the right weight, running effortlessly, gliding. I feel like my feet are made of heavy clay and I have to push thru with each mile. Dont even talk about speed, esp in the blog world, the slow runners run at 6-7mph, and write about speedier runners at 8-9mph. I guess speed is relative - to me 5mph is unattainable at the present moment.

OK, enuf venting for today, tomorrow is a new day. Walk and weights tomorrow, reach a decision about the inhaler-get it if will useit, concentrate on the hydration and the nutrition and go finish the 14 miler LSD this weekend.

No comments: