365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 122 first running injury

Or more likely it was due to over zealous stretching.
I walked on tues and wed and was hoping to run on thurs but could not due to time constraints so did maybe 15 min of yoga. Felt a slight twinge at the back of my left knee but ignored it, on friday it felt as if it was swollen at the back of the knee.
Today GB wanted to give the 3 mile run a miss, so I went with my husband. Tried to run after the warmup walk and just couldnot so walked the 3.6miles in an hour. It hurt really bad while coming up the hill. When I started I kept thinking why I was doing this and really I should just drop this whole idea, but by the end of the walk, even tho I was hurting more, the decision was to carry on. Hey, 2 weeks relative rest, ice and compression and I should be good to go. As it is, next weekend its the 9.5 miles run and my husband is on call again, so I would have missed it .
It doesnt hurt when I am sitting still, only when I walk and that too if I take big steps. There is no visible swelling, nothing I can see on the surface. But yes have to hold back a bit and see how I heal.
In 2 weeks it is the Shamrock 5k and I hope I can run that nicely. So far the goal is 45 min, I know , I know, shuffle pace, but thats the goal, lets see if am able to do the race first, and then within that time.
Rest days ahead, really not looking forward to those.
As far as the diet, skimmed thru Dr Oz and Rozien's You on a Diet, liked the book in parts, the suggestions are all very practical and doable, basically it is eating conciously and eating right. Things to avoid are ingredients- enriched flour, partially hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup, high fat dairy.
So since all premade , packaged goods are actually made of these four ingredients, what does one eat??
Their suggestions:
The one which I liked the most was to eat the same things regularly for a couple of meals a day e.g the same breakfast and midmorning snack everyday, for me that means oatmeal with skim milk everyday followed by a midmornig snack of V-8 and almonds. I have to focus on the afternoon period during which I haunt the pantry, maybe have the same lunch everyday and have variety for dinner. Sounds boring? but its health vs. feeling good temporarily and studies have shown that thin people usually eat the same boring stuff day after day.
Next the suggestion is to eat more home cooked meals, did not like this point much but it does make sense. We do eat home cooked most of the time , but my portions are huge.
The other suggestions like avoiding soda, more water etc I already am good about.My main pitfall is the chips and cookies, just finished a whole bag of chocolate chip cookies in 2 days, had got them for my poor starving kids who "hadnt eaten anything nice in days!!" Who finished the whole pack ?-their overfed mama. Have got the 100 cal snack packs to over-ride that problem, tho whats to stop me from opening the 2nd one after finishing the 1st is the real question.
And I am moving more so that too is falling into place. Just have to add free weights and that will happen when it will happen.
Another few weeks and I will be a lean mean fighting machine.
Will review the book for some more stuff next week once get the lunch into place.

No comments: