365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rethinking the marathon

Knew wouldnt be able to run the LSD yesterday, so did some elliptical on Friday.Was very busy yesterday with the preparation for a friends party, which is today. Did go to sleep at a decent hour of 10.30 , alarm for 4 AM, so could get out of the house by 5AM, finish the 7 miles in 2 hours, back by 7AM, send the DH off to work by 7.15.

Did that happen?

You guessed it right, NO, nope.

Woke up at 4AM, and the mind took over. Thoughts of why am I doing this? , will I be able to complete this marathon? , who am I kidding, look at my weight ( got 3 comments of increased weight from 3 different well-meaning, well-wishers), if I do finish-so what?, how will I run on those long roads when I have to do 23 miles or 26 miles LSD?, how long will GB take to get better from her low back pain which has prevented her from running all these days, how did those people in the August2008 runnersworld actually do it? should we have joined a running team/group?, was it a wrong decision to go it alone? How will I feel if I dont take part or dont finish the marathon? esp since my dear dear husband has informed all his family and friends about the marathon and in my mind they are waiting on the sidelines to see me run, or not. Amazing how my performance in life is so important to people- again this is my mind speaking, not me, who is observing the thoughts moving around.
All this while I am laying in bed. Then thought , OK lets not go out today, lets just run on the tmill- I have done it before, so it shouldnt be difficult. But last time I had a movie to watch, not today. Looked at the clock, it was already 5.45 AM, so rolled over and went off to sleep till 6.30 AM.

Woke up and could have kicked myself right, left and center. It was a beautiful day, the cool breeze coming in thru the windows, clear with a few white clouds,the sun very mild yet. I should have gone.

But the mood is definately better, maybe things are clearer in the day. I am doing this for myself, slowly and steadily I will do it, no-one said it would be easy, no-one is forcing me to do it. As for worrying about other people, left that behind in the 20s. Now at 40, I live my life my way.(brave words-GB would laugh at this)

Will try the LSD tomorrow AM, even if I do it on the tmill.

No comments: