365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Saturday, July 19, 2008

LSD 14 miles, almost!

Ok, so not the scheduled 16 miles, did 14 miles.

GB joined me today, which was great. She had been walking atleast 2-3 times in the last few weeks and last nite she decided to join me for 5 miles of my 16 mile session. So I mapped out a 8mile circle and planned to do it twice.

Got up at 4AM, called GB, had my PBJ, packed a banana, started form home at 5AM. Walked the first 2 miles. GB kept saying to run, but I didnt want to make the effort yet. After the 2 miles started R/W, worked up from 60 steps r/60 steps walk to 300 R/100W. GB liked the idea too and she completed the first 8 miles session with me.
This session was really good:
-company makes a lot of difference
-it was pleasantly cool
-the initial warmup of almost 2 miles helped. We had no pain, did not feel heavy or tired, it was really nice.

Took a break at GB's appartment, where drank 4 oz water and finished my banana.
GB agreed to do part of the next 8 miles with me. So we did another shorter circle of 3.5 miles. At about halfway, GB started feeling tired. I was feeling only a twinge in my left foot, but still not too tired. We reached her apartment again, she went in and I decided to complete the session.

Two things happened here to make me miscalculate my distance- one that the first circle was acually 7.5 miles and I had thought it was 8.32. Also I did not complete the .5m distance to GB's apt from the turn. The 2nd was that the rest of the path I took was much shorter than my calculations.I had previously done this route and calculated it as approx 5 miles, not realising today I was doing only one-way. Put it down to LSD hypoglycemia- the brain not working because of lack of its primary food- glucose.

Anyways finished the distance till my house in 4 hours. GB in the meantime had reached home and called me with the distance but I just was not willing to do another 2 miles at this point. I walked the last 3 miles real slow, my left foot was hurting bad, esp at the bottom, I was tired , thirsty and just wanted to be home. I was really disappointed at first because I so wanted to do 16 miles today- I am always 2 miles behind my LSD, but it was not meant to be. 14 miles in 4 hours is pretty slow, slower than walking , but I think I got slow in the last 3 miles . Maybe its good because now I have to get my left foot Xrayed- the pain is too much- even tho only after 12 miles and it got better as soon as I put the feet in cold water.

That was heaven- feet in cold water, knees in ice packs, drinking ice cold water- heavenly.

Am having some heavines in the legs and soreness in the knees but its to be expected.
LSD 8-10 miles next week, hopefully Gb will join me again.

1 comment:

tamblair said...

That is great!! And I am glad you had some company this time!! I am sorry to hear that your foot is still bothering you. Hopefully it is nothing serious. Keep us posted. Congrats on the mileage!!