365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

D-day tomorrow

So tommorow is Nov 1st, first day of marathon preparation.
Things I have found out-
One has to be running atleast for a year-20 miles a week, before thinking about a marathon,my snail paced 6-8 miles of walking a week, if that, does not count.Then it takes atleast 3o weeks to train to finish a marathon-just finish-which is what we want to do. If we do the SFmarathon in Aug 2008,that gives us 9 months i.e 36 weeks, so we should be OK if we are consistent, persistent and smart about the training.
One will have to be careful about diet and nutrition, load up on the carbs, so all the halloween candy I consumed today will surely help me run longer and faster. Jokes apart, the marathon training might not help me lose much of the extra 30 pounds I carry since my body will need the extra nutrition.
There are as many different marathon training plans as steps in 26.2 miles-approx 52,000. So I will have to use my brains while sifting through the information, and I thought this was all about brawn.The best plan I have found so far is the Jeff Galloway plan of 30 weeks which recommends 30 min of running 3 times a week and one long run on the weekend. Also he has different run/walk ratios depending on the pace you can keep.I am a bit skeptical because on paper it seems too easy.
NB



No comments: