365 days, 1 year, 2 inactive bored sisters, one thinks any goal is too small for her, the other wants to try everything but is not sure where to start. So Ok, the challenge- run the first full marathon within 365 days. Start date: Nov 1st 2007 End date : Nov 1st 2008. Will we be able to do it??

OUR GOAL - NIKE WOMEN'S MARATHON (OCT 19, 2008)

Nov 1, 2007-------------->FEB - 9Mleft--------------->MAY - Completed Half Marathon!!!! 6Mleft---------------->AUG - 3Mleft--------------->Oct 19, 2008 -D DAY!!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - We were able to complete, yes complete :) the Nike Marathon - our first marathon - in about 6 hrs 40 mins.Our next goal - Lose weight!!! 36 pounds in 365 days - a lofty one considering that even the marathon training couldn't help us lose a few of the extra pounds.

VISIT US AT OUR WEIGHT LOSS BLOG

MapMyRun.com - a vital tool for marathon preparation PBS Nova Marathon Challenge - Inspirational marathon training video Our progress (or not) - Check out our daily log!!!

Monday, October 27, 2008

Nov2008-Nov2009 Challenge and goals

Thought loong and hard. Finally came to a decision.

365 days to lose 36 pounds. Learn to eat right, train for the two half marathons for the exercise. Lifestyle changes.

Break it up into 3 pounds a month, a pound every 10 days.

The only problem with this is, that usually I forget that I am trying to 'lose weight' by the second evening, so that when the weigh-in day rolls around, I havent lost an oz. Then I tell myself, Lose 2 pounds in the next 10 days, which is still doable. Does not happen due to whatever reason and I am left with trying to lose 3 pounds in 10 days by which time I give up. Anyway, lets give it one more shot.

The basics:

I am 40 this year, have some hypothyroidism which I am in denial about, so not on meds, cholesterol etc OK except for the good HDL which is low, BMI of 29.3, calculated this morning on 'msn health guide' so this puts me at the edge of being obese. Love to eat, anything and everything tho' am a vegetarian. Downfall is sweets, packaged, easy to open processed foods. And the worst time of the day when I eat mindlessly is as soon as I step into the house after picking up the kids. They get healthy snacks of milk and cereal/peaches and plums, while I raid the pantry for cookies and chips.

Dont mind the exercise part, aim to exercise 5-6 days a week tho' putting in the requisite 90 min to lose weight might become difficult. Am very friendly with the couch esp after work, zone out in front of the T.V frequently. Love to read, therefore have all the basic knowledge to lose wieight and be healthy, but the 'doing' part is difficult for me.

Why do I want to lose weight? Would like to look good for once, tho realise that weight is only one part of looking good. Would like to be healthy for old age, want to be independant at whatever ripe old age I reach, and so far all the healthy 80 year olds I have seen are at the lower end of the BMI. This past year of doing somewhat regular exercise has shown me that the days I move are the days I feel good. No ankle pains or knee pains or feeling bloated. And I know that losing some of the flab will help with the running times.

Nowadays the first step to losing weight is to go into the psychological details as to WHY one gained it in the first place. Thats too intense for me right now, so I will start with baby steps.
And GB will be with me thru'out- this is a challenge for both of us. Tho' it'll be harder for her-shes on vacation, all the better for me to lose fast;)

DAys 1-10:

Focus on the afternoon snacking. I will have cereal/leftovers. No food which I have to open a packet for. So plan to cook extra at dinnertime.
Drink water first thing as I enter the house. Make tea, eat the food with the kids and then focus on the chores etc.
R/W according to schedule, i.e. T/Th/Sat: R/W, M/W/Sun: XT-weights/yoga, F: off

No comments: